Support Ripon College by giving through a Donor
Advised Fund (DAF)

A DAF is an exellent and tax-efficient way to give to charity. There are several big advantages to using a DAF as opposed to giving cash.

  • You get a tax deduction in hte year that you donate to the fund that you control.
  • You can give from the fund to charities of you choice years later.
  • You can donate euities that have appreciated and nobody owes capital gains tax.
  • Your donated money can remain invested in index funds.

IRA Rollover Update:

If you are 70½ or older, you may be interested in a way to lower the income and taxes from your IRA withdrawals. With an IRA charitable rollover, you can benefit yourself and help us continue our mission.

Learn More

Receive income for life and transform students' lives:

Are you looking for a secure source of fixed income for now or in the future and want to support Ripon? A Charitable Gift Annuity could be a solution.

Become a Partner in the Legacy at Ripon College

There are several easy ways to include Ripon College in your long-term plans such as designating Ripon College as a beneficiary of your:

  • Will
  • Living Trust
  • Life Insurance
  • Retirement Assets

Transform your Assets into Life Changing Gifts

Consider contributing:

  • Appreciated Stock
  • Retirement Accounts
  • Real Estate
  • Other Assets
Text Resize
Subsribe to RSS Feed
Monday June 17, 2019

Personal Planner

Separate & Joint Property

Separate & Joint Property

"My brother Pete and I own a ranch together," said Joe to his advisor. "We inherited the four sections of our ranch from my mother. As a single person, I think that I will plan to leave 50% of my share to Pete and the other half to my favorite charity. Of course, if Pete dies, he is married and probably wants to leave his share to his spouse and children."

Do Pete and Joe need to review their estate plans? Yes! These two rancher brothers held title as joint tenants with right of survivorship. If the single brother (Joe) were to pass away, Pete would inherit his brother's half of the ranch. Even though Joe stated that half of his share should go to his favorite charity, nothing will be given to charity.

On the other hand, if the married brother (Pete) were to pass away, under the joint tenancy with right of survivorship rules the ranch now belongs in its entirety to Joe. Pete's spouse and children would have no benefit, with the exception of some states in which a forced spousal share might provide some relief.

Do you know how your property is owned? This can make a huge difference in your plan, just as it did for Pete and Joe. Property can be owned outright, as tenants in common, as joint tenants with right of survivorship or in a trust.

Outright Ownership

Joe is a single person and also owns a home in a small community close to the ranch. He has complete title to the property in his name. The legal term for owning property outright is "fee simple" title. Because Joe owns the property outright in his name, he is obligated to personally pay the taxes, mortgage interest and any other costs of maintaining the property. However, he has complete use of the property and may transfer it during life or through his estate to any person or charity.

Tenants in Common

With property held as tenants in common, each person has an undivided interest in his or her portion. For example, Pete and Joe could change the title to the ranch to tenants in common. Each would still own 50% of the entire ranch. The taxes, the mortgage payments or any other costs would be divided between the brothers. However, because the ranch is held as tenants in common, each person may make transfers of the property during life or through his estate. Joe could decide to leave 50% of his half to Pete and 50% to favorite charity. Pete could leave his 50% of the ranch to his spouse and children.

Joint Tenancy with Right of Survivorship

The property could be held jointly, but under state law the surviving tenant receives title to the property when the first passes away. For example, if Pete were to pass away while the property is held as joint tenants with right of survivorship, Joe then would own the entire ranch. Both Pete and Joe would pay their share of taxes and the mortgage during life, but the property is transferred by state law to the surviving joint tenant, not according to the will of the first to pass away. For anyone other than a surviving spouse, joint tenancy with right of survivorship may result in an accidental disinheritance.


It is possible to transfer real estate and other assets into a trust. Each person deeds his or her portion into the trust. The trustee owns the entire property for the benefit of the income and remainder recipients. The trustee will manage the property, collect income and distribute it according to the terms of the trust document. A trust is especially useful if you own property in different states.

Therefore, it is very important to understand how your property is owned. When you are creating your estate plan or are considering a transfer or gift during life, you need to be certain that you first understand the ownership. Then you will be able to make a legal transfer to the intended beneficiary.

Many estate lawsuits have occurred because individuals thought they had the right to transfer property by will, but there was a joint tenancy with right of survivorship that transferred the property to a surviving owner. If one person receives under the will and another by right of survivorship, litigation is quite likely. By understanding the way in which your property is titled, you can be certain that your intentions are carried out according to your plan.

Published September 7, 2018

Subsribe to RSS Feed

Previous Articles

What Do You Own?

Chronic Illness - Care of Your Property

Chronic Illness - Care of Your Person

Planning for Senior Care

Planning with a Serious Illness

Physical Address: 300 W. Seward St. Ripon, WI
Mailing Address: PO Box 248 Ripon, WI 54971-0248
© 2019 Crescendo Interactive, Inc. PRIVACY STATEMENT
Phone: 800-947-4766
Campus Map